Team Member/Kitchen Assistant Position Description
7ate9 Bakery is a small café specializing in cheesecake, at 199C Highland Ave in Somerville. We are neighborhood people who believe in building community, utilizing local food systems, and creating high quality products.
We’re a very small team looking for people with big ambition. After one year of working with us, you’re eligible for profit-sharing. For the right team member, equity/partnership opportunities will become available. We want you to grow with us and help shape our vision. The ideal candidate will have a passion for kitchens/baking and an interest in learning how to operate in a commercial kitchen.
Required: Thursday & Friday: 7:00am - 5:00pm
This position may be combined with our Weekend Team Member position for full-time hours:
Saturday: 8:00am - 6:00pm & Sunday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Follow instructions for mixing and preparing various recipes.
- Prep (mise-en-place) ingredients to speed production efficiency.
- Develop recipes under the guidance of owner (areas of growth: ice cream making, breakfast pastry, cupcakes, cake decorating).
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Create a professional, friendly, efficient work environment.
- Assist customers.
- Make beverages using semi-automatic espresso machine.
- Make sandwiches.
- Free meals, beverages, and (of course) cheesecake during shifts.
Benefits & Perks:
- Free shift meals.
- Free, unlimited café beverages throughout shift.
- Employee discount when off-shift.
- Culinary & Barista training, resume building, community engagement opportunities and development.
- MUST be a people-person and love working with customers. Extroverted people do quite well with our company culture. We genuinely love our customers and they love us. We’ve had about 4 rude customers in the past four years… no joke.
- Positive attitude and customer service approach a must.
- Previous barista or kitchen experience a plus though not necessary.
- Ability to self-direct while understanding your role on the team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to lift up to 40lbs.
- Must be able to work on your feet, in a very fast paced kitchen environment.
- Non-smokers preferred as smoke breaks are not provided.
- Must have your own means of transportation. Public transportation is not reliable for our location.
Starting wage, based on experience, will be $12.00 - $15.00 per hour, based on experience plus tips, which average $3 per hour.
Email your cover letter and resume to jobs [at] 7ate9bakery.com